- N.B: This page contains information about a feature of the server that has now been removed. It is here for archival reasons.
On the 08/18/16 Mineplex officially released the new and updated anti-cheat, which they named G.W.E.N. This anti-cheat had better protection, and now could detect a lot more hacks, and would instantly take action against obvious hackers. In order to stop developers of hacked clients from being able to work out which hack G.W.E.N could detect, it worked with ban waves, meaning that lots of hackers would all be punished at once.
- The name G.W.E.N. means Guardians Watch Everything Now
- In the Main Lobby there are flying guardians, but this is purely cosmetic
- When someone is about to get banned 4 guardians are flying in circle around them, firing lasers to them. After while they explode, followed with a chat message GWEN> (name of hacker) has been banned. I am always watching.
Mineplex Anti-Cheat, usually referred to as simply MAC or Anti-Cheat, was Mineplex's custom solution to catching hackers. When MAC caught a player behaving in a way that normal players could not -- for example, running much faster than usual -- it kicked them from the game server, with the prefix "MAC >" in blue showing the reason in chat.
It is confirmed M.A.C. was logging the violations of all players. However, it is unknown if players were banned by the anti-cheat.
G.W.E.N (2016) Edit
On the 08/18/16 Mineplex officially released the new and updated anti-cheat, which they named G.W.E.N. This anti-cheat has better protection, and now could detect a lot more hacks, and would instantly take action against obvious hackers. In order to stop developers of hacked clients from being able to work out which hack G.W.E.N could detect, it worked with ban waves, meaning that lots of hackers would all be punished at once. The development of G.W.E.N is continuous, and so far there have been 2 'phases', which are spoken about below;
G.W.E.N Phase One: Edit
Official release thread can be found here
- Very first introduction of G.W.E.N, MAC has already been disabled (no longer kicks etc). G.W.E.N has 'taken over'.
- G.W.E.N is only able to 'recognise' very simple and obvious hackers
- G.W.E.N is only able to take immediate actions against certain types of extreme hackers
G.W.E.N Phase Two:Edit
Official release thread can be found here
- G.W.E.N banwaves are introduced. This was introduced because banning a hacker the second they are detected for hacking makes developing bypasses much easier
- G.W.E.N. Phase Two has added round one of movement checks to G.W.E.N,, these movement checks will only target players who are blatantly triggering the system
Inception (2013 prior) Edit
Mineplex had always been hesitant about the anti-cheating plugins they use, as the special minigames could make a plugin think that a player was cheating when they were completely innocent, like being kicked for flying when they were simply being thrown through the air by a minigame, stepping on enemy territory in Turf Wars, or getting caught by Douglas the Dragon in Dragon Escape. Anti-cheat plugins designed around Vanilla or simple Bukkit servers couldn't anticipate Mineplex's unique features.
Announcement (2013) Edit
On October 16th, 2013, Chiss announced that Mineplex Anti-Cheat was in the Beta stages of development, and was showing high promise in catching hackers. A picture was included in the post, seen right.
Release and Usage (2014) Edit
On April 27th, 2014, Mineplex Anti-Cheat was released, more than six months after its original announcement. Tweaks were said to be forthcoming, along with a warning on the possibility of getting kicked due to lag.
On October 13th, 2014 and October 31st, 2014, Mineplex Anti-Cheat was slightly updated to prevent false-positives and negatives.
Removal from Mainstream Usage (2015) Edit
Mineplex Anti-Cheat was removed for the most part on February 15, 2015, and was replaced by a custom build of NoCheatPlus. Defek7 stated on the homepage that the developers did not have the time to develop it enough for it to be a really effective method of ensuring fair play. Mineplex had worked with the lead developer of NoCheatPlus to ensure its suitability for use on the server. Reactions from players have been mixed, with some players complaining about high levels of rubber-banding due to NoCheatPlus' restrictions.
|“|| Hackers have been a big problem on Mineplex for a long time. We have been hesitant to use any public anti-cheat plugins, because we felt that they ruined the fun for non-cheating players with so many false-positives & rubber-banding. We tried developing an inhouse solution (MAC) for a while, but we didn't have enough time to give it the love and care it needed.
We have been working to find a good solution for a while now, so we got in touch with the lead developer of NoCheatPlus. We spoke about getting a custom solution developed for Mineplex. After a lot of tweaking and testing, we now have a custom NCP solution that will drastically cut back on the number of cheaters, as well as remove many of the false-positives that would have ruined the fun for non-cheating players!''